Zoom H2n as an external microphone on the DSLR
With the right settings, Zoom’s portable recorders can be used as an external microphone to DSLR and system camera. The unit can be attached to the camera using a hot shoe adapter.
Integrated microphones often have their weak points
The microphones used in SLR cameras or system cameras are often not necessarily the best of breed. The dynamic range and the clarity often fail us, because the microphone is placed too far away from the sound source, and in the worst case the built-in microphone also captures camera noises, such as focus buzzing.
That’s why I bought a Zoom H2n recorder some time ago, which I now use to record speech and motion sounds.
The recorder has high-resolution microphones and an SD card slot where the sound recordings are stored. I am amazed by the sound quality!
- Handy Recorder
- Fünf eingebaute Mikrofone und vier Aufnahmemodi
Using the recorder as an external microphone on the DSLR
One day I was sitting in the office editing one of my videos. I muted the sound track of the camera and instead placed the sound track of the recorder under the video. The idea came to me to save this step in the future if I would only use an external microphone on my Nikon D500 (Amazon Affiliate Link). I thought for a moment whether I had a suitable microphone lying around and at that moment I thought that I might also be able to use my Zoom Recorder “H2n” as a microphone.
The “Zoom H2n” recorder only has to permanently output the recorded noise via the headphone socket. Therefore we go to the menu of the recorder under the following path: Input -> Monitor -> ALWAYS ON
All you need now is a 3.5mm jack cable with two angled plugs to connect the headphone jack of the recorder to the microphone jack of the DSLR.
- deleyCON 0,5m HQ Stereo Audio Klinken Kabel // 2x 90° gewinkelt // Für AUX Eingänge 3,5mm Klinken Stecker zu 3,5mm Klinken Stecker
- Hochwertig vergoldete Kontakte mit flexiblem Kabel und passgenaue 3,5mm 90° abgewinkelte Klinken Stecker
It is also important that we first level the “Zoom H2n” manually and then level the camera manually.
From now on our DSLR video recordings get a clean audio signal from the mobile “Zoom H2n” recorder.
Attaching the recorder to a camera with a flash shoe adapter
The Zoom H2n recorder has a 1/4-inch thread on the bottom. If you buy a flash shoe to 1/4-inch adapter, you can mount the Zoom Recorder on your camera.
- Dieser Adapter ermöglicht die Geräte mit Standard 1/4 "Gewindebohrung auf Blitzschuh-Steckplatzzu installieren. Es verfügt über 2...
- Es kann NIKON SC-28 Blitz das VH2000 Kamera Blitzschiene Griff installieren. Es kann YONGNUO CTR-301P Blitz Fernauslöser auf...
My first choice as a Lightroom alternative
I’m gonna do some advertising. I’ve been dealing with all kinds of image editing software for months, comparing a lot, testing a lot and finally choosing RAW developer and Lightroom alternative Luminar 3.
Have a look and try the free trial version. Just click on the banner:
All the links in this text are Amazon Affiliate Links, and by clicking on an affiliate link I will earn a percentage of your subsequent Amazon purchases. However, this circumstance does not influence the background of my product recommendation. This product recommendation is independent, honest and sincere.
Bei allen genannten Links handelt es sich um Amazon-Affiliate-Links. Durch einen Klick auf einen Affiliate-Link werde ich prozentual an Euren darauf folgenden Amazon-Einkäufen beteiligt. Dieser Umstand beeinflusst aber nicht die Hintergründe meiner Produktempfehlung. Diese Produktempfehlung erfolgt unabhängig, ehrlich und aufrichtig.
I am looking the most basic photo camera with:
– Line in for external microphone (I would use zoom h2n or h1 sound recorder); I want to record classical guitar videos and not have to synchronize video from the camera and audio from the recorder, I want to have very good audio quality on the video file.
– flip-up screen
– Line in for remote control (for starting the recording)
I would thank you very much your advices about which camera from Panasonic, Nikon…